90 Years and Counting (Chapter 6)
|«--||90 Years and Counting
|Chapter 5||Chapter 7|
THE COLD WAR PERIOD AND UNITED NATIONS SERVICE, 1946 - 1989
THE COLD WAR IS BORN! On 5 September 1945 Igor Gouzenko, a Soviet Cypher clerk at the Russian Embassy in Ottawa defected. Information which he brought with him exposed the, previously unknown, degree to which Soviet Intelligence was targeting the West through espionage, subversion and outright theft of Atomic secrets. The Canadian investigation into the matter was dubbed the CORBY CASE. Reaction to this defection initiated the forty five year long Cold War between the Soviets and the West, led to the creation of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and the Warsaw Pact, a massive arms race. Needing a secure place to hide the invaluable Gouzenko the Canadian Government, on 9 September 1945, sent Gouzenko and his family with his Royal Canadian Mounted Police guards to the radio station at the old Camp X at Whitby where they were debriefed and lived until suitable cover arrangements could be made for them to live safely. They then settled in Mississauga where Igor Gouzenko died in 1982. On 18 May 1946, General Order 115 allocated 1st Canadian Divisional Signals to the reserve force.
On 7 October 1946, General Order 248 redesignated 1st Canadian Divisional Signals as "1 Infantry Division Signal Regiment".
In December 1946 radio station "CHAK" went on the air at Aklavik. Built and initially operated by WO2 R.A. (Red) McLeod the station was a voluntary operation serving the MacKenzie River Delta. It initially had 30 watts of power, later upgraded to 100 watts, and operated on 1,290 Kilohertz. It received its license in 1947. For many years there were no commercials and its sole source of income was a 25 cents contribution to broadcast personal messages.
In 1946, Brigadier J.E. Genet, CBE, MC (Retired) who had served as Chief Signal Officer of 1st Canadian Army during the war was appointed the first Honourary Colonel Commandant of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals.
In 1946, the Army component of the tri-service National Defence Communication System, a nation-wide teletype network was established by RCSIGS. Prior to this military strategic communications throughout Canada were provided primarily by commercial telegraph companies.
In 1946, Signals Welfare Incorporated was formed by the amalgamation of funds collected overseas and in Canada during the War. $47,000 was initially collected to form the basis for the sustaining fund.
In 1946 the first "Signals Day" was observed across Canada (later an annual event until absorbed into "Army Day" in 1957). Initially the first Saturday in November, the day became the nearest Saturday to the Corps Birthday (24 October) in 1952.
In 1941 the British requested information on Canadian designs for over snow vehicles. In 1943 over 100 half-tracked Bombardier B1 models were shipped overseas. While there were many existing commercial designs the Canadian military then decided to develop a "warlike" version. By 1944 the Canadian firm of Ferand and Delorme of Montreal had a fully tracked two man armoured reconnaissance snowmobile in production. Each had a Cadillac V-8 engine mounted at the rear, a Wireless Set Number 19 and a maximum of 14 mm of steel armour. Its ground pressure was only 20% of that of the more famous Universal Carrier (often incorrectly called the Bren Gun Carrier). The wide tracks gave superior mobility whether negotiating snow, mud or swamp. 396 were delivered to Britain and three to Russia while Canada retained 11. None of them actually saw action during World War II. They proved themselves on EXERCISE ESKIMO held in Saskatchewan over the winter of 1944-45 where they were used by the brigade group reconnaissance troop. Being very flexible vehicles they were also employed by signals, infantry, provost (military police) and artillery participants and used as tractors to pull up to two sleds or even artillery pieces. The 11 Canadian machines were used for EXERCISE MUSKOX where, stripped of the superfluous armour and fitted with aluminum cabins, they completed the epic 2,900 mile arctic patrol, arriving in Edmonton on 6 May 1956, only one day behind schedule.
In 1946 the strategic significance of Canada's north in the defence of Canada was realized. Exercise Muskox was the first of a decade of annual northern exercises to develop arctic knowledge, develop tactical doctrine and test communications in the far north. Exercise Muskox consisted of a 2,900 mile motorized arctic trek commencing in mid February 1946. The party started at Fort Churchill and visited Eskimo Point, Baker Lake, Perry River, Cambridge Bay, Coppermine, Port Radium, Fort Norman, Fort Simpson, Fort Nelson and Edmonton. At Cambridge Bay they visited with RCMP Inspector Larsen and the St Roch, the vessel which made the first successful voyage through the North-West Passage. The party arrived in Edmonton on 6 May 1946, only one day behind schedule.
In 1947-48 Exercise Moccasin proved that small Signal detachments could survive, move and communicate in the Arctic. Moves of up to 20 miles per day could be sustained. Many equipment expedients were developed to make the equipment in use survivable in the extremely cold and harsh conditions.
On 1 April 1947 Canadian National Telegraph officially took over the Northwest Communication System (paralleling the Alaska Highway) from the RCAF. This 2,400 kilometre long system was originally built by the United States Signal Corps in 1942 to link Alaska with the continental United States. The system was completed on 1 May 1943. Construction involved some 95,000 poles and 23 repeater stations built at 160 kilometre intervals. It was turned over to the RCAF in mid 1945. Many former RCAF personnel were among the first civilian employees of the newly civilian system which soon stretched to 3012 kilometres of pole line through the northern wilderness.
4 October 1947 OPERATION CANON. Sgt H.C. Cook and Sgt W.W. Judd, radio operators, were part of a team that parachuted into Moffat Inlet, Baffin Island to rescue Canon Turner, an Anglican missionary, who had accidentally wounded himself on 24 September 1947. After many difficulties and weather induced delays Canon Turner was evacuated from an improvised air strip by RCAF Dakota and taken to hospital in Winnipeg on 22 November 1947. He died of his injuries on 9 December 1947. Sgt Cook was awarded the British Empire Medal and Sgt Judd the Kings Commendation for their part in the rescue.
On 14 November 1947 the first United Nations operation was authorized. UNTCOK - United Nations Temporary Commission on Korea was authorized to supervise free and secret elections and to oversee the withdrawal of occupation forces (USSR and USA) from Korea. There was democratic success in the South however the North became the communist Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea under Kim Il Sung.
In 1948 HMCS Gloucester became the Royal Canadian Navy school for "communicator supplementary", later "radiomen special", training. This trade along with operator specialties in the RCSIGS and RCAF later evolved into the "Communicator Research, 291" trade. This training was moved to the school in Kingston in 1971 and the station closed in 1972.
On 21 April 1948 the United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan - UNMOGIP was authorized to supervise, in the states of Jammu and Kashmir, the cease fire between India and Pakistan. The group commenced operations on 24 January 1949. Canada provided observers until 1979 and still provides one aircraft annually for the relocation of UNMOGIP Headquarters from one side of the border to the other.
On 29 May 1948 The United Nations Truce Supervisory Organization Middle East (UNTSO) was authorized to assist the mediator and the Truce Commission in supervising the observance of the truce in Palestine called for by the Security Council. The first troops were in place on 11 June 1948.
In May 1948 British Columbia Area Signal Squadron deployed in aid to civil power operations in British Columbia. Flooding of the Fraser River had wiped out civil communications so Signals established communications between Vancouver and Edmonton as well as in the interior. Signalmen also built dykes in the most dangerous areas. On 30 May West Coast Signal Regiment deployed and provided communications for evacuation and relief as well as dyke repair. Civilian ham operators assisted with their own radio net. Flood waters peaked on 11 June. Army involvement ended on 30 June. Seven officers, 72 men of the Regular Force, seven officers and 36 men of the Militia and 15 civilians in support roles had been involved.
In 1948-49 Exercise Sigloo demonstrated the use of divisional and corps communications in the Arctic. Moves of up to 45 miles per day were made.
In 1949 major teletype relays were integrated as an economy measure. RCSIGS operated Ottawa and Edmonton, the RCAF Vancouver and Winnipeg while the RCN operated Halifax.
In 1949 the RCAF Telecommunications Branch establishment was set at 165 officers and 1700 other ranks out of total RCAF establishment of 14,500. By 1962 Telecom had expanded to 6000 personnel.
In 1949 NRS Aklavik was established. In March 1961 its responsibilities were transferred to the new site at Inuvik and the station closed.
In 1949 the Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (RCEME) celebrated their fifth anniversary at the RCEME School at Camp Barriefield, Kingston, Ontario. This fete was the largest RCEME military party ever held in Kingston. Three RCEME companies were on parade, there was a Corps field day, a precision drill team display, band concert, all ranks steak dinner and dance and a VIP reception in the RCEME Officers Mess. This celebration remained the largest RCEME party ever until 1974 when the thirtieth anniversary was celebrated during an army concentration in Wainwright, Alberta.
In 1949 NRS Masset (which had been abandoned in 1945) was opened as a HFDF station. The station was hit and damaged by an earthquake in August 1949.
In 1949 NRS Coverdale near Moncton NB opened as a HFDF station. In 1949 it was later commissioned as HMCS Coverdale. The station closed in 1971.
Corporal Bud White of Fort Chipawayan, NWT&Y System, dove into a whirlpool in Lake Athabaska to rescue a carpenter, Nick Purves in 1949. He was awarded the King's Commendation for Brave Conduct for his actions.
During the winter of 1949- 50 the NWT&Y Ennadai Lake Signal Detachment arranged an airlift of the Kazan River Inuit community. The group was in danger of starvation after migrant caribou herds by-passed the area. The nomads returned the next year and were frequent recipients of the detachment's medial aid until the detachment closed three years later.
In February 1950 Exercise Sweetbrier was the first joint Canadian - American exercise in the Arctic. It was held in the Yukon and eastern Alaska. It tested the ability of troops to carry on military operations in the north.
On 1 March 1950 officers of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals presented a Drum Major's mace and sash for use by the Corps Band. The mace and sash were originally retained in a special oak case in the Officers' Mess in Vimy Barracks until required for use. Traditionally a band paraded itself to the Officers' Mess to receive the mace and sash prior to a parade or ceremony. Following the event the band would, again, parade itself to the Mess to return them back into the officers' keeping. The original band involved was a school trumpet band made up of staff members. The trumpet band existed until the mid 1950s and predated the Band of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals formed in 1952. This practice was discontinued with integration. In the 1970s the case containing the mace and sash was moved to the C & E Museum where they remain on display when not on parade. In 1986 Colonel G.L. Coady, then Commandant of the school and of the Home Station, decided to reinstate the tradition in revised format for the Vimy Band (the successor to earlier Corps bands) to again use the mace on C & E parades at Kingston. The new tradition involved the Drum Major receiving the mace from the school, leaving his own mace as surety until its return. The old RCSIGS sash was not included in the ceremony due in part to its single element identity and to its deteriorated condition. In 1987 a new C & E drum major's sash, designed by Captain J.A. MacKenzie, was acquired by the Museum. The sash was held by the Vimy Band until that band was disbanded in 1994. The new sash is worn only on C&E parades and ceremonies. In April 1993 Air Land Basic Officers Course 9301, led by Officer Cadet J.D.F. Leonard (himself a former bandsman), refurbished the mace as a class project.
On 9 April 1950 RCAF personnel landed at Alert and permanent occupancy began. Originally a temporary airfield and a weather station were set up using materials propositioned two years earlier. this was as part of joint cooperation with the Canadian Department of Transport and the United States Weather Bureau. The weather station had a three man weather reporting team. On 31 July 1950 when a parachute fouled its elevators during a supply drop a Lancaster aircraft crashed at Alert killing the crew. A subsequent aircraft dispatched to recover the casualties also crashed, fortunately without further fatalities. The nine members of the original crash are still interred at Alert. The original station still exists as part of the Department of the Environment, Atmospheric Environmental Services.
In May 1950 Signalman Mike Carter of Hay River, NWT&Y System, repeatedly risked his live crossing the ice-jammed Hay River to rescue a seriously ill Indian woman. He was awarded the King's Commendation for Brave Conduct.
On 8 May 1950 OPERATION REDRAMP, 6 Signal Regiment from Rivers, Manitoba, deployed with personnel and equipment assistance from the Fort Garry Horse and 1st Field Regiment RCHA Signal Troop to help battle the Red River flood in Manitoba. The Air Support Signal Unit, also from Rivers, arrived the next day. On 9 May OPERATION BLACKBOY, the complete evacuation of Winnipeg, was prepared for but it was not implemented as the waters crested on 16 May and by 21 May had begun to recede. At its peak the flood covered 600 square miles and had made 100,000 people homeless. Radio equipped DUKWs (2.5 ton amphibious trucks) were invaluable rescue vehicles. The experience gained two years earlier in British Columbia had proven invaluable. The force stood down (except for DUKW operations) after 18 days of operations and began to redeploy on 30 May.
On 25 June 1950 The United Nations Security Council, following the invasion of South Korea by North Korean forces, called for a cessation of hostilities in Korea and the return of North Korean forces North of the 38th Parallel. The war continued until the armistice on 27 July 1953.
In 1950 - 51 Exercise Sundog II involved movement of material in the Fort Churchill, Manitoba area. RCSIGS average time to move 100 miles was 12 hours versus the 12 days that other units took with their tractor trains, proving the effectiveness of light equipment developed in earlier exercises. Exercises in 1951-52 were also major endurance tests involving minimal vehicles and three month deployments for the 37 signalmen involved.
In 1951, Pinetree Radar Line construction commenced as a joint Canada - USA project. Radar early warning stations were placed to counter the Soviet air threat against North America. This later became part of the joint US-Canada North American Air Defence (NORAD) System. Initial radar stations were fully manual air defence systems with both aircraft control and early warning functions. The stations were organized into geographical sectors. As part of this expansion women were again enrolled in the RCAF (the wartime Women's Division was disbanded in 1946) and by 1954 airwomen were eligible for overseas postings.
In 1951 the C/PRC-26 man pack radio was issued. Designed by the Canadian Signals Research and Development Establishment and manufactured by Rogers Majestic this was the first Canadian developed and built post World War II military radio. It was unique for its time having, despite the tube technology of the day, replaceable modules.
In 1951 Royal Canadian Army Pay Corps training began at the Pay Training Wing in Vimy Barracks. It continued there until integration in 1968.
Commencing 15 January 1951, 25th Canadian Infantry Brigade Signal Troop formed, trained and embarked for service with 25th Canadian Infantry Brigade in Korea. It arrived in Korea in April 1951 and although the armistice took effect on 27 July 1953 the unit did not return home until late 1954. Personnel were rotated four times.
On 6 February 1952 King George VI died. Queen Elizabeth II assumed the throne.
Commencing 4 May 1951, 27 Canadian Infantry Brigade Signal Squadron formed at Kingston where it trained and later embarked for service with 27 Canadian Infantry Brigade in Germany. The unit opened for business in Hanover, Germany, on 7 November 1951. Also formed at the same time was 27th Field Regiment Signal Troop which provided artillery communications. In 1952 these two units were redesignated J Troop and E Troop respectively of 1st Canadian Signal Regiment.
In 1952 the radar station at Lac Ste-Denis, Quebec became the first PINETREE site to be completed. Originally designated Radio Station Lac St-Joseph it was renamed Lac Ste-Denis in 1952. Over the years it went by various designations including No 1 Radio Station, 202 Air Control & Warning Squadron and 11 Radar Squadron. It was one of the original Canadian funded and manned stations.
In the fall of 1952 the first RCSigs Motorcycle Display Team was formed. Patterned after the Royal Signals team which had performed since 1930 the 26 members used unmodified standard issue motorcycles to provide an action packed half hour show. They performed from the spring of 1953 until 1956 when the team was disbanded.
In 1952, the Distant Early Warning (DEW) line project was initiated with the Bell System as primary contractor and Western Electric assigned the job as PROJECT 572. The first and test station was Barter Island, part of the initial Alaska Experimental Line which opened in 1953. The system peaked at 70 sites subsequently reduced to 31 sites between 1962-83 due to technology improvements.
On 22 January 1952 the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals Band was authorized and formed at Vimy Barracks.
On 9 October 1952, General Order 312 authorized formation of 1st Canadian Signal Regiment, the first Signal unit of its size to be formed in the Active Force. It was established at Camp Borden. The existing brigade squadrons and artillery troops then designated troops of the Regiment although remaining with their formations, for example: 27 Canadian Infantry Brigade Signal Squadron in Germany became J Troop while 27th Field Regiment Signal Troop was redesignated E Troop of 1st Canadian Signal Regiment.
On 23 October 1952, 1 Line Troop was formed.
On 18 December 1952 the Apprentice Training Squadron of the Royal Canadian School of Signals was authorized. Squadrons in the School were 1 Sqn - basic and linemen training, 2 Sqn - operator training, 3 Sqn - technician training, 4 Sqn officer training, 5 Sqn - soldier apprentice training, X Troop - administration. The Royal Canadian Army Pay Corps (RCAPC) training was done in the Pay Wing, also part of the School.
In 1953, Pinetree Long range radar stations opened across Canada (including Moisie, Sioux Lookout and Sydney). Combined with US sites the system peaked at 256 sites to monitor the continent, reduced to 80 by 1983.
In 1953 Canadian strategic communications in the Lahr/Baden-Soellingen area of Germany began with the arrival of the Wing Telecom Section of 4 Fighter Wing, RCAF at Baden. This later evolved into Canadian Forces Europe Communication Group with Communication Squadron Lahr and Communication Squadron Baden, all phased out during 1992-93 as Canada withdrew its garrison from Europe.
In 1953 NRS Frobisher Bay, a HFDF station, was created by moving NRS Fort Chimo to the new, more supportable site. The Frobisher Bay airfield was built by the Americans during World War II and purchased by Canada in 1944 for $6,800,000. NRS Frobisher Bay closed in 1966.
In 1953, the RCSIGS Band served in Korea.
On 15 April 1953 the name of RCEME was changed to The Corps of Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.
On 1 June 1953, 1 Airborne Signal Squadron was formed.
On 2 June 1953 two men of J Troop were part of a composite guard and a third was a horse holder at Buckingham Palace as part of 27 Canadian Infantry Brigade Groups contribution at the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in London, England. the remainder of J Troop was responsible for traffic and movement control communications for the brigade group's 2,500 man Coronation Day Parade at Waterloo Platz, Hanover, Germany.
On 27 July 1953 the Korean Armistice Agreement was signed at Panmunjom ending three years of fighting in Korea. Canada provided the third largest of the UN contingents. By war's end 26,000 Canadians had served in the Korean theatre of operations and over 500 had been killed or died of wounds or sickness. There are 378 Canadians buried in the United States Memorial Cemetery at Taggok near Pusan, Korea. Canadian Signalmen had earned 3 MBEs and 12 Mentioned in Dispatches.
On 20 October 1953, 30th anniversary of NWT&Y was celebrated.
On 24 October 1953, the 50th anniversary of RCSIGS was celebrated.
In October 1953 The tri-service strategic telecommunications network was reorganized into separate but interconnected networks along elemental lines. Once again, Canadian military integration was "disintegrating" in favor of separate services!
On 3 November 1953, Colonel Elroy Forde, DSO, OBE, VD died. Involved in signalling since 1905 when Lieutenant Forde formed the Signal Section of the 77th (Wentworth) Regiment in Dundas, Ontario, he had transferred to the new Canadian Signalling Corps in 1909. During World War I he become Chief Signal Officer of the Canadian Corps overseas. On 1 April 1919, Signals was established as part of the post-war Permanent Force as a result of efforts of then Lieutenant-Colonel Forde. During the 1930s Colonel Forde supervised the construction of Vimy Barracks Kingston and then became Commandant of the newly arrived school. He retired in the autumn of 1942. Following a service at foyer of the Forde Building he was buried in Cataraqui Cemetery, Kingston.
In November 1953 1 Canadian Infantry Brigade replaced 27 Canadian Infantry Brigade in Germany. J Troop continued as the brigade signal unit in Germany. At this time the Canadians relocated from Hanover to the Soest area in Westphalia.
On 16 December 1953, General Order 368 redesignated 1st Canadian Signal Regiment as "1 Canadian Infantry Division Signal Regiment".
In 1954, RCSIGS personnel served in Indo-China (Vietnam) as part of the International Commission for Supervision and Control (ICSC). This non United Nations body was authorised under the Geneva Accords of 20 - 21 July 1954 to ensure the cease fire was obeyed, to assist in restoring order and to control the entry of unauthorised military personnel and materiel. ICSC ceased operations on 17 June 1974. The last RCSIGS cryptographer returned home in July 1959.
In 1954 Canada's involvement commenced with the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization - UNTSO. UNTSO was authorized in May 1948 to assist in supervising the truce in Palestine following the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. The mandate has extended through three subsequent wars in 1956, 1967 and 1973.
In 1954 it was decided to partly automate the Pinetree radar system and the Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) System was introduced. This system was actually introduced in the early 1960s and utilized computers to do routine functions while retaining human decision making.
In 1954, at the initiative of Colonel Peck the then Commandant of the School, the French gray colour was changed to light blue on the Corps flag (flag only as Corps colours remained unchanged).
In 1954, Brigadier A.W. Beament, CBE, VD, CD replaced Brigadier Genet as Honorary Colonel Commandant.
In 1954 Signals provided communications for the northern tour of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh.
In October 1954 RCSIGS deployed after the tail end of Hurricane Hazel hit Toronto. On 16 October seven inches of rain fell in 24 hours resulting in 80 deaths, 40 bridges destroyed and $100,000,000 in damage. Signals provided 50 radios and eight vehicles providing communications for clearing debris, searching for bodies, traffic control and bridge repair.
In 1955, the RCSIGS Band was posted to Germany for a tour.
In 1955 2 Brigade replaced 1 Brigade in Germany. K Troop became the brigade level signal unit in Germany.
On 21 February 1955 the United States Air Force made the first official announcement that Western Electric Company had been awarded the contract to build the DEW Line at about $500,000,000. Canadian subcontractors for western portion were Northern Construction Ltd and James W Stewart Ltd of Vancouver. The eastern contractor was Foundation Company of Canada. It was operational by 1956.
At 0830 hours, 8 July 1955, the first Canadian unloading of DEW line supplies was done by a helicopter of HMCS Labrador at Cape Fisher. This was the only recorded incident of Canadian military aircraft being used to assist in the construction of the DEW line. All other Canadian aircraft involved were civilian owned and contracted by the United States Air Force.
Commencing 7 August 1955, RCSIGS units took part in the largest peacetime maneuver held to date in Canada, Exercise Rising Star, at Camp Gagetown.
In 30 September - 24 October 1955 the Colonel in Chief, HRH The Princess Royal (Mary), visited Signal units in Canada.
In 1956 Signals provided communications for the northern tour of the Governor General, the Right Honorable Vincent Massey.
In January 1956 RCSIGS played a major role in restoring power and communications in the Maritimes after a devastating winter sleet storm. Signalmen restored communication to isolated Prince Edward Island and relayed telegrams for commercial companies. I Line Troop which was in Gagetown at the time provided equipment and crews who replaced 6000 power poles in a few days while 5th Signal Regiment (Militia) provided internal Prince Edward Island communications. Eastern Command Signal Regiment provided the relay for commercial telegrams between PEI and the mainland.
In April 1956, planning commenced for a nuclear survivable national communications system.
In 1956, the RCAF began construction of a new facility at Alert Wireless Station for research into arctic communications. The six buildings constructed between 1956 and 1958 became the "30" lines of the present site.
On 28 May 1956, the Civil Defence Order of the Privy Council assigned responsibility for Emergency Measures Organization communications to RCSIGS.
On 2 August 1956 the RCSIGS transmitter building at Aklavik burned down.
On 4 November 1956 the first United Nations Emergency Force - UNEF I was authorized to supervise a cessation of hostilities in Egypt which had been attacked by forces of Great Britain, France and Israel. Canada provided a reconnaissance squadron, signals, engineers, air and land transport, maintenance and movement control as well as an infantry platoon. For this operation the famous "blue beret" was worn for the first time by UN troops, primarily to distinguish the Canadians from their similarly dressed British counterparts who had been combatants along with the French in the invasion of the Suez Canal Zone from 31 October to 5 November. The force ceased operations on 17 June 1967 when it was ordered out of the region by Egypt during the Six Day War of 1967.
On 20 November 1956, 56 Canadian Signal Squadron was authorized for United Nations Emergency Force (UNEF) duty in Egypt as part of the multinational United Nations Emergency Force. The unit remained in Egypt until 1967 when war broke out requiring immediate withdrawal of United Nations Forces.
In 1957 4 Brigade, originally raised as the 25th Brigade for service in Korea, replaced 2 Brigade in Germany. The brigade signal unit was originally designated L Troop and later 4 Signal Squadron. A 4 Brigade Signal unit in several name variations remained in Germany until 1992, first in Soest then, since 1970, in Lahr .
In 1957 there were 39 Pinetree sites.
In June 1957 the last station to join the NWT&Y, Aklavik East Three, was opened by Corporal Peter Gray at the new government seat for the MacKenzie Delta, In 1958 this new site, 56 kilometres from Aklavik, was named Inuvik.
NORAD was established 12 September 1957 but it was not until 12 May 1958 that Canada and the United States signed the North American Air Defence (NORAD) Command Agreement to coordinate the defence of North America.
In September 1957 The Canadian Government ordered RCSIGS to turn all 28 stations of the NWT&Y Radio System over to the Federal Department of Transport. By this time the NWT&Y had an income of $5 million a year from charges for commercial messages. Fort McMurray went first while Resolution, turned over on 25 March 1959, was the last NWT&Y station to close. By 1965 the NWT&Y Radio System including its headquarters in Edmonton had entirely closed.
On 2 December 1957 the following incident report was sent from Aklavik:
STACMDR CFM ACK 297 0900Z 27
In 1958, RCSIGS entered the combat intelligence field with the procurement of ground surveillance radar. In 1958, RCSIGS took over responsibility for Alert Wireless Station from the RCAF.
On 1 January 1958, the Mid Canada Line, an air defence early warning line along the 55th parallel, became operational. The line peaked at 8 sector stations and 90 unmanned doppler detection stations with a final estimated cost of $224,566,830. It was closed as not cost effective by 1965.
In 1958 the Semi-Automatic Ground Environment System (SAGE) was added to the system.
1958 was a massive reorganization period for the RCSIGS field component. On 14 July 1958, General Order 604 disbanded 1 Canadian Infantry Division Signal Regiment and created a new field organization. The order was actually dated 1 September 1958 but the order was effective 14 July 1958 and actual actions occurred over a period of time:
- On 30 April 1958 1 Canadian Base Signal Troop RCSIGS, 2 Base Signal Troop RCSIGS, W1 Troop (Royal Canadian Dragoons) and W2 Troop (Lord Strathconas Horse) disbanded.
- On 15 May 1958 1 Signal Squadron (Calgary), 2 Signal Squadron (Petawawa) and 3 Signal Squadron (Gagetown) were formed.
- On 1 June 1958 1 and 2 Airborne Signal Troops were formed.
- On 1 July 1958 4 Signal Squadron (Germany) and 5 Signal Squadron (Kingston) were formed.
- On 1 August 1958, 3 Airborne Signal Troop formed.
- On 31 August 1958 1 Airborne Signal Squadron disbanded.
- On 1 September 1958 4 CIBG Signal Troop, 3 RCHA Signal Troop and 1 Canadian Infantry Division Signal Regiment were disbanded.
In 1958 a mallard duck, Erintrude II, was presented to the School by the Adjutant, Captain D.A. Kidd. The new mascot became the responsibility of the Duck Master, 5 (Apprentice) Squadron. The next year, this mascot disappeared and its remains were never found although rumors exist that it was eaten by junior officers of the Corps. On 11 Jun 1958 the United Nations Observer Group In Lebanon - UNOGIL was authorized to ensure that there was no illegal infiltration of personnel or supply of arms or materiel across the borders of Lebanon by the United Arab Republic (Syria). Canada provided observers. Full observation of the border area was achieved by 16 July 1958. By November 1958 calm had returned to the area. The force ceased operations on 9 December 1958.
In 1959 a three year rotation system was started for the Canadian troops in Germany. With one third of unit personnel replaced each year the need to rotate formations and units was eliminated.
In 1959 Signals provided communications for the northern tour of the Duke of Edinburgh as part of his visit to Canada with Her Majesty the Queen.
By 1959, RCSIGS had expanded to provide country-wide National Survival Communications (with many new types of communications equipment introduced).
On 25 March 1959 Canadian National Telecommunications was awarded a contract by the United States Department of Defence to build a microwave radio system from Grand Prairie Alberta to the Alaska border to meet US military defence of North America requirements.
On 1 June 1959 General Order 646 authorized Alert Wireless Station as a RCSIGS establishment. By 1959 the DND strength at Alert had increased to 2 officers and 90 other ranks and in 1961 RCN personnel began to augment the station.
At 1700Z, 9 August 1959 Aklavik was officially handed over to the Department of Transport.
In 1960 Canadian National Telecommunications installed a tropospheric scatterwave (troposcatter) system to link up with Distant Early Warning (DEW) line stations in Canada's north. This was also a United States Department of Defence contract. It also, in the process, improved civilian communications in the North. Technology and the commercial market had finally advanced to the point where the provision of commercial communications for Canada's north had become viable. For the military this marked the milestone where it went from the provider of communications to the customer.
The 1960 period CADIN/Pinetree radar system upgrades involved establishment of a Combat Centre- Direction Centre in the Ottawa Air Defence Sector (ADS), SAGE tie-in of 25 existing radars of the Pinetree Line (The Goose NORAD Sector remained a manual system and was not included in the upgrade), establishment of seven new heavy radars in Canada and SAGE tie-in, establishment of 45 gapfiller radars in Canada and SAGE tie-in (35 RCAF responsibility and 10 USAF responsibility), construction and provision for essential ancillary equipment and establishment of two BOMARC missile sites in Canada (La Macaza and North Bay).
In 1960 Nova Scotia Signal Squadron and 3 Signal Squadron provided communications for fighting forest fires in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.
On 31 May, 1960, Prime Minister John G. Diefenbaker announced Operation Bridge, a program to relocate communications centres and create 6 regional emergency government headquarters with full survivable communications. The first site, Project EASE, was at Carp Ontario where the tape relay became operational in 1962.
On 14 July 1960 the United Nations Operation in the Congo - ONUC was authorised to ensure the withdrawal of Belgian forces and to maintain order during the transition to control by the new independent government in the Congo. Civil war broke out as a result of one province's, Katanga, attempt to succeed from the new country. A cease-fire was arranged on 17 September 1961 however UN military forces remained until 30 June 1964.
On 27 July, 1960, General Order 676 authorized 57 Canadian Signal Squadron. It was established at Barriefield and later flown to Africa for United Nations (ONU) duty in the Congo (now Zaire). The advance party arrived in Leopoldville on 11 August. On 27 October 1960 the squadron combined with the Canadian Headquarters element and was redesignated 57 Canadian Signal Unit and Colonel P.D. Smith arrived as contingent commander. On 11 May 1961 Colonel H.W. C. Stetham became the commander of the contingent replacing Colonel Smith who returned to Canada to become Director of Signals. The force returned to Canada in 1964.
On 12 October 1960 Her Royal Highness, the Princess Royal (Mary) arrived in Germany to visit Canadian Signal units.
On 1 June, 1961 General Order 704 redesignated 5 Signal Squadron as "1 Signal Unit" (order was actually dated 2 October but action was effective 1 June).
In 1961 Brigadier C.S. McKee, CBE, VD replaced Brigadier Beament as Honourary Colonel Commandant.
In 1961 a National Film Board film on RCSIGS was made.
On 20 March 1961, Naval Radio Station Inuvik became operational. The station was commissioned HMCS Inuvik 10 September 1961 and renamed Canadian Forces Station Inuvik in 1966.
On 1 August 1961 6 Signal Squadron (Valcartier) was formed.
31 August 1961, 1,2 and 3 Airborne Signal Troops were disbanded.
On 17 September 1961 a cease fire was arranged by ONUC forces in the Congo following the war which broke out in 1960.
In October 1961 the RCEME Memorial Gate at Camp Barriefield, Kingston, Ontario was dedicated to those who died in the service of Canada. General A.G.L. McNaughton, then Colonel Commandant of RCEME, officiated at the ceremony. This first structure was funded with $9,000 in donations by all ranks, regular and militia, and friends of the Corps. In 1968, the 24th birthday the extensions were added. In 1989 the Sherman tank carrying a "LAD" number appeared and in 1992 a 25 pounder howitzer was added. This gate is, like the Vimy War Memorial, a designated memorial and the area around it is a designated military "attention area". Military personnel passing through this "McNaughton Gate" pay respects to the RCEME Memorial Gate.
On 4 December 1961 authority was requested by the Commandant RCSofS to Headquarters, Eastern Ontario Area to create an officially sanctioned Museum - RCSS/160-1 4 Dec 61 (No copy held).
In March 1961 NRS Inuvik became operational assuming the duties previously done by NRS Aklavik. In 1961 the first soldier arrived (a RCEME vehicle technician) and by 1969 it was an integrated station.
On 18 December 1961 authority was granted to establish the ROYAL CANADIAN CORPS OF SIGNALS MUSEUM at the RCSofS - EO 5115-B5/2(DAAG) 18 Dec 61.
In 1962 over $30,000 was raised for construction of a fitting Signals War Memorial. In June 1962 Her Royal Highness, Mary, The Princess Royal visited Kingston for the second time and participated in the sod turning ceremony.
On 21 September 1962 the United Nations Temporary Executive Authority in West New Guinea (West Irian) - UNTEA was authorized to maintain peace and security in the region disputed by Indonesia and the Netherlands. UNTEA ceased operations 20 April 1963.
On 6 October 1962 the Royal Canadian Signals War Memorial was unveiled by His Excellency Major General Georges P. Vanier, DSO MC, CD, PC, Governor General of Canada.
In 1962 the NORTHAG Signal Troop was formed and flown to Germany to serve Northern Army Group Headquarters.
In 1962 the "History of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals 1903 - 1961" was published after 18 years of preparation.
In 1963 the Royal Canadian Signals Museum in Kingston opened to the public.
In 1963 NRS Bermuda became operational and on 1 April 1964 it was designated a permanent station.
In April 1963 the Defence Research Telecommunications Establishment at Shirley Bay began to provide computer high frequency (HF) predictions using an IBM 705 computer. This service was discontinued in March 1967 due to computer limitations and increased demand.
UNTEA ceased operations in New Guinea on 20 April 1963.
On 11 June 1963 The United Nations Yeman Observer Mission - UNYOM was authorized to implement the disengagement between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Republic (Egypt). UNYOM ceased operations on 4 September 1964.
On 15 August 1963 General Order 769 redesignated 1 Signal Unit as "1st Canadian Signal Regiment" (the order was actually dated 30 March 1964 but was effective from 15 August 1963).
On 22 September 1963 the RCSIGS "Book of Remembrance" was dedicated and placed on display in the Foyer of the Forde Building, Kingston. It was executed as a gift to the Corps by Brigadier E.D. Baldock, MBE, CD.
In 1964 Bill C-90 was approved by the Parliament of Canada. This authorized the integration of the Canadian Forces. By 1965 an integrated Canadian Forces Headquarters was in place and integrated services were becoming common although officially integration did not occur until 1968.
In January 1964 the western half of Mid Canada Line closed.
In 1964 Canadian soldiers went to Cyprus as part of the United Nations Force In Cyprus (UNFICYP). The force was authorized on 4 March 1964 to assist in the maintenance of peace and restoration of law and order in Cyprus. Canadian troops remained in place during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974. In addition to serving with Canadian units involved in the operation signalmen also served in 644 Signal Troop, Royal Corps of Signals, later redesignated 254 (UNFICYP) Signal Squadron, until 17 December 1992. The last, and 59th, Canadian rotation ended on 15 June 1993 when the 2nd Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery turned over its responsibilities and departed.
By March 1964 the RCAF had a strength of over 51,000 of whom 1,200 were airwomen, many serving in the Telecommunications Branch.
On 22 June 1964 STRAD (Signal Transmit Receive And Distribution) went operational at Carp with its TARE (Telegraph Auto- matic Relay Equipment). This was the first automated message system in the Canadian Forces. It closed 17 years and 61 million messages later when SAMSON went operational.
On 30 June 1964 ONUC forces in the Congo ceased operations.
UNYOM ceased operations in Yeman on 4 September 1964.
In October 1964 Capt John D.B. Kent, Sgt J.J. Doran and Sgt Ron Halal made up the RCSIGS component of a 30 man training and advisory team which had been sent to Tanzania to assist that country's army. Tanzanian soldiers also trained at the RCSofS.
On 15 March 1965 Her Royal Highness, Mary, the Princess Royal, Colonel in Chief died.
In April 1965 the eastern half of Mid Canada Line closed. This completed closure of the line, considered not cost effective.
Effective 1 April 1965, strategic communications of all elements were fully integrated as the Canadian Forces Communications System (CFCS), later a command in its own right.
On 14 May 1965 the Mission of the Representative of the Secretary General in the Dominican Republic - DOMREP was authorized to observe the situation and report on breaches to the cease fire following a civil war. DOMREP ceased operations on 22 October 1966.
On 12 August 1965 the Museum requested authority to operate a Kit Shop - RCSS/1615-2 12 Aug 65 (no copy held). On 24 September 1965 the Museum was authorized to operate a Kit Shop - EO1615-1 (ADM) 24 Sep 65.
On 20 September 1965 the United Nations India-Pakistan Observer Mission - UNIPOM was authorized to supervise a cease fire along the India-Pakistan border, except for Jammu and Kashmir which were covered by UNMOGIP. UNIPOM ceased operations 22 March 1966.
In 1965 1 Line Troop, a unit in its own right since 1952, became an integral part of 1 Canadian Signal Regiment, where it became Heavy Line Troop, part of 2 Squadron.
By mid 1966 strategic communications units had been reorganized on a regional basis and names changed from former single service designations to 700 series numbered communications squadrons in which the first two numbers designated which communication group headquarters the unit reported to, for example: NS/PEI Signal Squadron became 720 Communication Squadron in Debert and 726 Communication Squadron in Halifax, both answering to 72 Communication Group in Halifax. Most units had small detachments serving bases and stations within their areas of responsibility.
UNIPOM ceased operations along the India-Pakistan border on 22 March 1966.
In April 1966 base responsibilities for Vimy Barracks were transferred from the RCSofS to the newly formed Canadian Forces Base Kingston.
DOMREP ceased operations in the Dominican Republic on 22 October 1966.
In 1967 Project Mercury 67 was a commemorative message sent nationwide involving all the historic communications devices. Conceived by 2 Signal Squadron, Petawawa with the aid of Canadian Forces Communication System, the message began on 27 June at the Provincial Parliament Buildings in Victoria BC where Major General G.R. Pearkes, Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia, initiated the message which went by laser beam to the Fleet Mail Room in CFB Esquimalt; then by mail to 741 Communication Squadron, Vancouver; by teletype to 733 Communication Squadron, Winnipeg; through 18 field radio detachments to CFB Petawawa; then by L-19 light aircraft of 4 Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery which dropped the message to a Ottawa River canoe party who took it to Parliament Hill, Ottawa; by telephone to CFB St Hubert; by B-70 radio relay, TA-43/PT telephone, Fullerphone, dispatch riders using jeep, motorcycle, ferry and horse to Bedford NS; by heliograph, Lucas lamp and signal flags to Halifax Citadel; by submarine cable to St John's where semaphore and Lucas lamp passed the message to a runner who finally carried it to the Honorable Fabien O'Dea, Lieutenant-Governor of Newfoundland, who was waiting on Signal Hill, its final destination, on the morning of 1 July. The reply was sent via CFCC back to Victoria in less than one day.
In 1967 the air head support base for CFS Alert was changed from CFB Edmonton to CFB Rockcliffe (and later to Uplands when the aircraft no longer used Rockcliffe).
In 1967 a new RCSigs Motorcycle Display Team, commanded by Captain J.E. Burman, toured the country and signalmen were involved in display caravans nationwide. This was part of Canada's centennial birthday celebrations.
In March 1967 the Radio and Physics lab at the Defence Research Telecommunications Establishment at Shirley Bay provided Canadian Forces Communications System Headquarters with a computer program to predict high frequency one hop F2 layer mode predictions for the 4000 - 6800 kilometre range.
In May 1967 the first United Nations Emergency Force - UNEF I, originally authorized in 1956 to supervise a cessation of hostilities in Egypt following the 1956 War, was ordered by Egypt to depart the disputed area but was caught in situ and did not complete its withdrawal until the fighting had ended. On 5 June 1967 war again broke out in the Middle East. On 17 June 1967 56 Canadian Signal Squadron, part of the United Nations Emergency Force Egypt - UNEF, ceased operations and withdrew from Egypt in the face of the renewed fighting, the Six Day War, between Israel and its Arab neighbors.
On 4 July 1967 approval was given to mount a bronze RCSIGS badge above the front entrance to the Forde Building in Kingston. The technical maintenance office (TMO) work order was initiated on 14 July 1967 by Captain F.W. Pratt and the badge was installed shortly thereafter. This badge replaced previous wooden badges which had been mounted on the building since the school opened in 1937.
In 19 December 1967 CFS Mill Cove was commissioned for naval ship to shore communications and as a strategic receiver site. It replaced NRS Albro Lake, in service since 1941.
In 1968 NRS Gander became CFS Gander.
In March 1968 two mobile satellite terminals were delivered to 1st Canadian Signal Regiment, Kingston as part of the experimental NATO TACSATCOM System (joining the semi-mobile terminal and fixed terminal based at Shirley Bay and purchased the previous year). Total costs about $300,000 for hardware.
On 8 May 1968 2 Airborne Signal Troop (of 2 Signal Squadron, Petawawa) participated with other units in a parachute drop at Camp Petawawa Ontario. Due to a wind shift a number of the parachutists landed in the adjacent Ottawa River rather than on the designated landing zone. While many were saved others who had landed in the water were drowned before rescue was possible. Lost were:
On 12 May 1968 the Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers War Memorial, the main gate to McNaughton Barracks, Kingston, was re-dedicated by Colonel A.L. MacLean as part of the ceremonies marking the 24th anniversary of RCEME. The gates had been originally conceived as part of the 1950 development plan for Camp Barriefield and originally constructed in 1961.
In September 1968 the Observer Team to Nigeria - OTN was authorized, outside the auspices of the United Nations, to observe the Nigerian Armed Forces to determine if they were complying with their own code of conduct and to investigate charges that the military was guilty of genocide. OTN ceased operations in 1970.
1 October 1968 - integration of the Canadian Forces. RCSIGS personnel, RCEME radio and radar technicians, RCAF Technical Telecommunications personnel and RCN radiomen special were grouped together to form the new Communications and Electronics Branch. All former single element corps and branches ceased to exist. The Royal Canadian School of Signals in Vimy Barracks amalgamated with the Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers School in McNaughton Barracks to become Canadian Forces School of Communications and Land Ordnance Engineering (CFSCLOE). The new school was an integral unit of CFB Kingston assigned to the then Training Command. Squadrons were redesignated Companies and were designated by letter rather than by the former numbers.
On 1 October 1968 Brigadier McKee relinquished his appointment as Honorary Colonel Commandant of RCSIGS and Lieutenant-General F.S. Clark, CBE became Colonel Commandant of the new Communications and Electronics Branch.
On 1 October 1968 the RCSIGS Band was amalgamated with the Royal Canadian Dragoons Band and other band elements to form the Canadian Forces Vimy Band which was moved to Ottawa.
In April 1969 the Ecole technique des Forces Canadiennes (ETFC) (Canadian Forces Technical School) was formed at Saint-Jean Quebec to do basic French language technical training. English language and franco-assist training were still taught at Kingston.
In 1970 CFSCLOE became Canadian Forces School of Communications and Electronics Engineering (CFSCEE) with transfer of air communications, radar and basic electronics training from 1 Radar and Communications School at CFB Clinton and relocation from Kingston of land ordnance engineering (LORE) training to Borden. The move of LORE to Borden ended a training association with Kingston which had gone on since 1939 and had seen 40,000 tradesmen of the RCOC, RCOC(E), CEME, RCEME and finally LORE trained in Camp Barriefield, later McNaughton Barracks. For the RCEME Association however, Kingston remains a RCEME focal point and the home for RCEME reunions and ceremonies.
On 1 September 1970 the Heavy Line Troop, 1 Canadian Signal Regiment, reverted to command of Canadian Forces Communication Command as a unit and was again designated 1 Line Troop.
In October 1970 1 Canadian Signal Regiment deployed to Montreal as part of OPERATION ESSAY. This deployment initially involved an aid to civil power operation in support of the Government of the Province of Quebec where terrorist acts by Quebec separatists of the Front de Liberation de Quebec, or FLQ, created what later became known as the "October Crisis". When the War Measures Act was invoked this operation and other related operations came under federal government auspices. Other military units deployed to Ottawa and several locations in Quebec and security within Canadian Forces establishments was increased. The Regiment remained in Montreal until late 4 January 1991.
On 1 October 1970 4 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group relocated from Westphalia in Northern Germany to Lahr and Baden in the south. This involved 11 trains, each of 20 flatbed cars, loaded with tracked vehicles and a road party of some 500 wheeled vehicles. With this move the Canadian contingents in Germany were all located in the same area. 4CMBG moved from the British Army On The Rhine (BAOR) to Central Army Group (CENTAG).
On 27 August 1971 an Administrative Order was published to authorize establishment of the Communications and Electronics Branch (C&E). The Branch had been in the formative stage since 1968 however at this point it officially became a Branch.
In 1970 the Canadian Forces Vimy Band was renamed the Air Transport Command Band. this temporarily ended the band's long association with the C & E Family.
In 1971 the support base for CFS Alert was changed from CFB Uplands to CFB Trenton. Relocation of the C-130 Hercules squadron to Trenton was responsible for this change.
In December 1971 HMCS Gloucester closed and communicator research training was transferred to Kingston to become E Coy of CFSCE.
In September 1971 CFB Clinton closed.
On 10 April 1972 the C&E cap badge was approved. This badge was unique in that this badge differed from the approved branch badge. The cap badge has a light blue background as opposed to dark blue while the Mercury figure is of white metal rather than yellow of the Branch badge.
On 10 November 1972 the newly renovated CFB Kingston Officers' Mess at Vimy Barracks, Kingston, was officially reopened after eleven months of renovations.
In 1973 terminology for Canadian brigades was changed from "brigade" to "brigade group".
In January 1973 the International Commission for Control and Supervision South Vietnam - ICCS was authorized to monitor the cease fire in South Vietnam, supervise the exchange of prisoners and to ensure no build up of military equipment. This was not a United Nations operation. The Chief Signal Officer was Lieutenant-Colonel J.A.P. Thomson. After six months service Canada withdrew in frustration in July 1973.
In February 1973 the Statement of Requirements for SAMSON (Strategic Automated Message Switching Operational Network) was issued.
On 24 March 1973 Brigadier-General J.B. Clement replaced Lieutenant-General Clark as Colonel Commandant.
13 April 1973 was the first invitation to tender for SAMSON.
On 25 October 1973 a second United Nations Emergency Force Egypt - UNEF II was authorized to supervise the cease fire and disengagement of Israeli and Egyptian forces in the Sinai Desert.
On 2 November 1973 OPERATION DANACA was initiated. This was the deployment of 1 Canadian Signal Regiment, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel G.E. Simpson, to Egypt (on the ground 11 Nov) as part of United Nations Emergency Force II (UNEF II). Later the Signals component was redesignated 73 Canadian Signal Squadron and the unit was assigned responsibility for communications within UNEF II (Sinai Desert) and, from 31 May 1974 until 1977, UNDOF (Golan Heights).
In 1974 the Air Transport Command Band reverted to the Canadian Forces Vimy Band and was relocated to Kingston
In 1974 Turkey invaded Cyprus following a Greek-Cypriot coup d'Ttat attempt which began on 15 June 1974. United Nations forces, including Canada's contingent, remained in place during the war. A cease-fire went into effect on 16 August 1974.
On 1 January 1974 the Commander Canadian Forces Communication Command position was upgraded to Brigadier-General. Prior to 1974 this was the only command in the Canadian Forces without a General in command.
On 31 May 1974 the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force Golan Heights - UNDOF was authorized to supervise the cease fire between Israel and Syria. Canada provided a Signal Troop.
The International Commission for Supervision and Control (ICSC) - ICSC ceased operations on 17 June 1974. The last RCSIGS cryptographer returned home in July 1959.
On 27 June 1974 a $6,300,000 contract was awarded to Teletype Corporation for 600 terminals for SAMSON.
On 18 October 1974 the SAMSON contract worth $24,000,000 was let to Burroughs Business Machines Limited for the backbone system.
On 22 November 1974, "Begone Dull Care", the march of the former RCSIGS, was granted as its official march to 1st Canadian Signal Regiment.
On 2 September 1975 Air Command Headquarters formed at Winnipeg. The C & E staff remained at North Bay until July 1977.
On 21 June 1975 1st Canadian Signal Regiment was granted the Freedom of the City of Kingston.
On 2 September 1975 Canadian Forces Training Command to which the Canadian Forces School of Communications and Electronics Engineering was assigned was downgraded and became Canadian Forces Training system (CFTS).
In the summer of 1975 1 Line Troop was assigned to 70 Communications Group, Trenton.
1976, OPERATION GAMESCAN, communications support to the Summer Olympics at Montreal and outlying sites such as Kingston.
In 1976, following the 1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus, 644 Signal Troop, Royal Corps of Signals was redesignated 254 (UNFICYP) Signal Squadron. Canadian Signals officer, radio operators and linemen served in this primarily British unit until 17 December 1992.
On 28 January 1976 1st Canadian Signal Regiment rebadged to the C&E badge.
On 18 June 1976 the RCSigs Cairn was rededicated at the Royal School of Signals, Blandford UK. It was originally located at 1 Canadian Signals Reinforcement Unit at Southwood Camp in Cove, Farnborough, Hampshire.
On 26 June 1976 Brigadier J.E. Genet died at his home in Belleville.
On 28 October 1976 Brigadier M.H.F. Webber was appointed first Colonel of the Regiment, 1st Canadian Signal Regiment.
In late 1976 UNDOF Signal Troop based on the Golan Heights became an independent unit after four years of being a sub unit of 73 Canadian Signal Squadron which then became responsible for UNEF II communications only.
On 15 November 1976 the name of the RCSIGS Museum was changed to the Canadian Forces Communications and Electronics Museum to reflect the expanded mandate of the new Communications and Electronics Branch of the Canadian Forces of which the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals was a founding component- Message DSRO 4271 162000Z Nov 76.
In 1977 the Supplementary Radio System portion of CFS Gander was designated 770 Communications Research Squadron. In 1970 the unit moved to the airport from its previous site. Air units shared the airfield site hence the need to distinguish the unit as distinct from the station itself.
On 1 January 1977 Brigadier R.E. Mooney, CMM, CD replaced Brigadier Clement as Colonel Commandant.
On 7 June 1977 Her Royal Highness, the Princess Anne, was appointed Colonel in Chief of the Communications and Electronics Branch.
On 18 August 1977 CFS Sydney, the last long range radar station to operate two height finder radars, operated its second height finder for the last time.
On 8 September 1977 1st Canadian Signal Regiment moved into its new purpose-built building (E-30 McNaughton Barracks).
In December 1977 the Regimental Badge for 1st Canadian Signal Regiment was approved by Director Ceremonial in Ottawa and by Queen Elizabeth II.
On 24 February 1978 Canada Hall, US Army Signal Center, Fort Gordon, Georgia was dedicated.
On 19 March 1978 the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon - UNIFIL was authorized.
13 April 1978 saw the start of OPERATION ANGORA. 82 members of 1st Canadian Signal Regiment deployed to Lebanon and relieved elements of 73 Canadian Signal Squadron in providing communications for the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) (on the ground 21 April). Hand over to UN civilians was on 1 October 1978 followed by return to Canada.
On 21 October 1978, 763 (Ottawa) Communication Regiment received the freedom of the City of Ottawa. Formed as 3rd Battalion, Canadian Corps of Signals in 1921 it became 3 Division Signals in 1925, 703 and in 1970 received its current title.
16 November 1978, 1st Canadian Signal Regiment's new Regimental flag was paraded for the first time.
In 1979 the older, tube technology computer system in North Bay was replaced. 900 pounds of high technology replaced 350 tons of the old.
In 1979 Canada ceased providing observers for the United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan - UNMOGIP. Canada had provided observers since the mission was authorized on 21 April 1948.
On 1 January 1979 NORTHWESTEL, a wholly owned subsidiary of Canadian National Telecommunications became responsible for northern communications, direct descendants of the old NWT&Y Radio System and Yukon Telegraph Service. In 1989 NorthwesTel, now owned by BCE Incorporated (formerly Bell Canada Enterprises), began taking over communications for the entire Canadian north. This was approved by the Canadian Radio/Television Commission (CRTC) on 1 May 1992. The company provides leased communications services for many military requirements.
On 26 March 1979 the Multinational Force and Observers Sinai Peninsula Egypt - MFO was authorized to supervise the withdrawal of Israeli forces from the Sinai and to monitor Egyptian and Israeli compliance with the 1979 Peace Treaty. this was not a United Nations body.
On 14 July 1979, Colonel J.G.B. Knowlton, CD replaced Brigadier Webber as Colonel of the Regiment 1st Canadian Signal Regiment.
On 28 September 1979 an alliance between 1st Canadian Signal Regiment and 1 (British) Armoured Division Headquarters and Signal Regiment, Verden West Germany was approved by the Colonel in Chief.
On 13 November 1979 Her Royal Highness, The Princess Anne, Colonel in Chief, visited Kingston Communications and Electronics units.
Portions of the Pinetree system were incorporated into the new North Warning system in the mid 1980s.
In 1980 the Canadian Forces AttachT to Korea was appointed the additional duty of Canadian member on the United Nations Command Military Armistice Committee - UNCMAC. Since 1954 Canada had provided a separate liaison office to UNCMAC and this separate agency was then closed down.
15 August 1980, OPERATION Delilah. The Chief of Defence Staff, General Ramsay Withers, formally commissioned the automated message switching system (SAMSON) at 706 Communication Squadron, CFB Borden. It had been turned over by the contractor on 23 July.
On 21 September 1980 Brigadier-General D.P. Harrison sent a "stop Traffic" service message from 743 Communications Squadron Penhold to 740 Communications Squadron Nanaimo and 731 Communications Squadron Shilo to symbolize the cut over from torn tape to computerized message switching. Actual time of the cut over to Automated Defence Data Network (ADDN) was 220001 GMT. By April 1981 the system was fully automated.
In 1981, in a further realignment of CADN/PINETREE radar stations, western Canada commenced reporting to North Bay rather than to the previous (American ) sector stations.
On 1 January 1981 Major-General L.H. Wylie, CD replaced Brigadier-General Mooney as Colonel Commandant.
On 8 April 1981 CFSCEE dropped "Engineering" from its name to become CFSCE. This was in recognition that engineering training was not done there.
On 12 May 1981 EXERCISE RENDEZVOUS 81 started in Gagetown, New Brunswick. The largest divisional exercise held in Canada since 1958.
On 2 July 1981 a Signal Transmit Receive And Distribution (STRAD) decommissioning ceremony was held at Carp. This system operated for 17 years and passed 61 million messages.
On 6 April 1982 the Museum was granted federally registered charity status, number 0621474-50-11.
A 1983 DEW Line refit cost $600,000,000.
On 17 June 1983 Colonel P.H. Sutton, CD replaced Colonel J.G.B. Knowlton, CD as Colonel of the Regiment, 1st Canadian Signal Regiment.
On 1 July 1983, 1 Line Troop was transferred to 76 Communications Group, Ottawa.
In August 1983 the concept of a reserve component Electronic Warfare (EW) Squadron was developed. This squadron would provide support and augmentation to the Regular Force EW squadron. In October 1985 Treasury Board approved the formation of the unit. On 1 July 1986 the Reserve Electronic Warfare Squadron, 763 (Ottawa) Communications Regiment was established in Kingston, Ontario. Canadian Forces Organization Order 10.67 was amended to reflect this addition of the squadron within 763 Communications Regiment.
In September 1983 a Branch Reunion was held in Kingston. 1200 attended. This celebrated 80 years of military C & E.
In May 1984 an AN/FPS 26A height finder antenna, an AN/FPS 27 search radar antenna and a small cairn were mounted at the McNaughton Barracks site later designated for the new C&E Museum in Kingston. The antennae had been donated to the Museum on the closure of CFS Raymore in 1974. Official unveiling ceremonies took place on 25 May 1984.
In 1984 the first Air Force Telecommunications Reunion was held at Kingston. Over 200 attended.
In 1985 the new North Warning System became operational. It comprised 13 long range radar sites (11 in Canada of which 8 were old sites) and 39 short range radar sites (26 in Canada).
1985 EXERCISE RENDEZVOUS 85. Divisional exercise at Camp Wainwright, Alberta.
In 1985 Canadian Forces Base Kingston Officers' Mess was officially designated the "Home Station Officers Mess" of the C & E Branch by Colonel Kevin Troughton, Commander CFB Kingston. This mess was the original Signals' Home Station Mess from 1937 to 1968 when Signals was disbanded as part of Canadian Forces integration.
On 25 June 1985 a Federally Registered Non Share Capital Charitable Corporation called "The Canadian Forces Communications and Electronics Museum" was incorporated under the authority of Revenue Canada, Letters Patent dated 25 June 1985. Ownership of the corporation is vested in the Government of Canada through Revenue Canada. It functions as the Museum's "Friends of the Museum" agency which operates as a financial arm outside the limitations of Department of National Defence (DND) regulations. On incorporation the Corporation assumed responsibilities of the Royal Canadian Signals War Memorial Trust which was then disbanded.
On 1 October 1985 the HOME STATION FUND for the Communications and Electronics Branch as a Museum Corporation administered project was created for the purpose of increasing the profile of the Branch at Canadian Forces Base Kingston, the designated Home Station of the Branch.
In 1985 the Air Force Telecommunications Association was formed.
In 1986, CFB Kingston officially became the "Home Station" of the Communications and Electronics Branch with responsibilities for home station matters assigned to Commandant CFSCE.
In 1986 Major-General Ian Alleslev was appointed as the first Branch Advisor. Previously DGCEEM and DGCEO were co-advisors representing air and land interests respectively.
On 1 July 1986 Reserve Electronic Warfare Squadron, 763 (Ottawa) Communications Regiment was established in Kingston, Ontario. Canadian Forces Organization Order 10.67 was amended to reflect this addition of the squadron within 763 Communications Regiment. This squadron would provide support and augmentation to the Regular Force EW squadron. The Squadron later became, for all intents and purposes, an independent unit. reporting to 76 Communications Group Headquarters in Ottawa. The official birthday of the unit was 18 September 1986.
In October 1986 the renovated entrance to the CFB Kingston Officers' Mess was officially opened by Colonel G.L. Coady, Commandant CFSCE, and Colonel J. Fleming, Base Commander. Redesign of the entrance, to provide a C & E presence, was done by Capt J.A. MacKenzie. The three 3/4 inch smoked glass windows bearing C&E Branch badges were provided by the C&E Museum's Home Station Fund at a cost of $2,200.
1987 RENDEZVOUS 87. Divisional exercise at Camp Wainwright.
On 5-7 September 1987 a Branch Reunion was held at Kingston. This celebrated the 50th anniversary of the school, 35th anniversaries of 1 Line Troop and the soldier apprentice program. 2400 attended.
The United Nations Good Offices Mission in Afghanistan and Pakistan - UNGOMAP was authorized on 25 April 1988 to assist the Secretary-General's representative in ensuring the Agreements relating to Afghanistan and to investigate and report on violations regarding the Agreement. UNGOMAP ceased operations 15 March 1990 and was replaced by a planning cell called Office of the Secretary General in Afghanistan and Pakistan - OSGAP in anticipation that further UN operations in the region would be necessary.
On 24 June 1988 Brigadier-General G. Simpson, OMM, CD replaced Colonel P.H. Sutton, CD as Colonel of the Regiment, 1st Canadian Signal Regiment.
On 9 August 1988 the United Nations Iraq Iran Military Observer Group - UNIIMOG was authorized to verify, confirm and supervise the cease fire and withdrawal of all forces to the internationally recognised border between Iran and Iraq. From August 1988 to December 1988, 88 Signal Regiment, formed by C&E personnel from Petawawa and Kingston, provided UNIIMOG communications. There was a squadron of the Regiment located on either side of the cease fire line. Negotiations were hampered by the refusal of the antagonists to allow any direct UN cross line communications.
The United Nations Angola Verification Mission - UNAVEM was authorized on 20 December 1988 to verify the redeployment northwards and phased and total withdrawal of Cuban troops from the territory of Angola in accordance with the timetable agreed to between Angola and Cuba. Canada provided 15 observers for the Mission commencing in June 1991.
1989 saw a new C & E Branch structure with formation of a newly reorganized and expanded C & E Association to replace the former C & E Association, C & E Institute, Branch Fund. Formal recognition of Kingston as the Branch Home Station was also affirmed by the Branch.
The United Nations Transition Assistance Group (Namibia) - UNTAG was authorized on 16 February 1989 to assist the Special Representative of the Secretary-General to ensure early independence of Namibia through elections under the supervision and control of the UN. UNTAG ceased operations on 21 March 1990.
The Central America United Nations Observer Group - ONUCA was authorized on 7 November 1989. Its mandate was to play a part in the demobilization of the Nicaraguan Resistance and to monitor the cease-fire and repatriation of forces. ONUCA ceased operation 31 January 1992.
|«--||90 Years and Counting
|Chapter 5||Chapter 7|