During the Second World War, First Canadian Army Signals presented a carved oak chair to the parish of St Giles. Written in the Corps History is the following:
Home of First Canadian Army Signals for the duration of their stay in England was Ashtead, Surrey. In those two years there developed an association between Army signals and townspeople which grew ever more cordial. Signals used the Ashtead Parish church for regular services, and to commemorate this no less than one thousand Signalmen contributed to the purchase of a Bishop's chair which still stands in St. Giles Church, bearing the arms of the Bishop of Guildford and the badge of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals. The Women's Guild presented the unit with a flag, the Canadian ensign, at a ceremony marking the anniversary of confederation. After accepting it on behalf of the unit, Lieutenant-Colonel Burgess asked that it be placed for safekeeping in the Ashtead Peace Memorial Hall.
In addition to the crests carved in the back of the chair, the following is inscribed on the outside of the right arm:
Presented by First Canadian Army Signals who worshiped in this church while stationed in Ashtead
- ↑ History of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals 1903-1961 (page 108)