Bari War Cemetery
|Bari War Cemetery|
|Owned by:||Commonwealth War Graves Commission|
|Number of gravesites:||2,128|
|Website:||Bari War Cemetery|
The Bari War Cemetery is a cemetery in Italy containing some hospital and garrison burials of Canadians who died in Italy during the Second World War. There are 211 Canadians buried in the cemetery.
The site of Bari War Cemetery was chosen in November 1943. There was no serious fighting in the vicinity of the town, which was the Army Group headquarters during the early stages of the Italian campaign, but it continued to be an important supply base and hospital centre, with the 98th General Hospital stationed there from October 1943 until the end of the war. At various times, six other general hospitals were stationed at Trani and Barletta, about 48 km away. Besides garrison and hospital burials, the cemetery contains graves brought in from a wide area of south-eastern Italy, from the 'heel' right up to the 'spur'.
This cemetery is located on the outskirts of Bari in the locality of Carbonara. Take the tangenziale which is part of the SS16, skirting Bari, and which is accessed from the autostrada A14. From the tangenziale take the SS100 south to Taranto at exit 13B. About 3 kilometres from exit 13B turn right to Carbonara. Then a left turn will eventually arrive at the cemetery (about 1.5 kilometres from the SS100). If traveling by train, alight at Bari Centro Station and take a taxi to the cemetery.
Cemetery address: Via Antonia Quaranta - 70012 Carbonara di Bari (BA) Puglia.
"We Rest Here"
The following members of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals are buried here.
|Headstone||Service Number||Rank and Name||Grave Location|
|D116027||Cpl TJ Cozzolino||III. D. 21.|
|K53532||Sigmn AP Gawne||III. E. 6.|
|A2388||Sigmn A Gibson||III. A. 12.|
|K34031||Sigmn GE Simpson||III. C. 27.|