Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal
The creation of the medal was inspired by the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize which was awarded to all United Nations Peacekeepers in 1988 in recognition of their collective efforts in the cause of peace.
The medal is circular, 36 mm in diameter.
There is no bar to this medal.
The obverse has, in the centre, three figures of unarmed observers. Above them flies a dove. The words “PEACEKEEPING” and “SERVICE DE LA PAIX” are written around the three figures separated by two maple leafs on either side.
The reverse has, in the centre, the Queen’s Cypher on a maple leaf, surrounded by two sprigs of laurel and the word “CANADA”.
The ribbon is 32 mm wide and consists of a central stripe of United Nations blue on each side of which are stripes of white, red and green. The blue in the official colour of the United Nations, organisation under which authority most of the peacekeeping missions are conducted, the green represents service, the white is the colour of peace, the red represents the blood shed in the service of peace. Red and white are also the official colours of Canada as appointed by King George V in 1921.
A single-toe claw attaches to the top of the medal and to the centre of a straight, slotted bar. There is a maple leaf centred on the slotted bar.
The inaugural ceremony took place on 6 September 2000 at the Peacekeeping Monument in Ottawa where Her Excellency, the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, CC, CMM, COM, CD, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, presented the medal to 90 recipients representing the Canadian Forces (Serving and retired members), the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade and the Police Forces.
The medal is not named.
Almost 125,000 Canadian personnel have served in peacekeeping missions over the past 53 years. As of 1 June 2012, 74 718 medals had been issued.