Directorate of Signals Design
|Directorate of Signals Design|
|Active||1942 – 1943|
In May 1940, with the Canadian Army Overseas expanding rapidly, the "technical group" of the Directorate of Signals underwent some rapid changes. Initially transferred to the Master General of Ordnance (MGO) Branch, the group remained charged with the design, development, procurement and inspection of signals equipment. Signals personnel were posted to the Directorate of Ordnance Services (Technical Stores) and to the Inspection Board of the United Kingdom and Canada as they were formed.
In May 1941 the remaining technical design personnel were incorporated into the Directorate of Technical Research and continued to be occupied mainly in the task of obtaining samples, drawings and specifications of British equipments and coordinating them for production in Canada through the Department of Munitions and Supply. Early in 1942 it was considered advisable to place the signals design and production functions under the Department of Munitions and Supply and so the group was transferred from the Department of National Defence and set up as a Directorate of Signals Design functioning under the Army Engineering Design Branch. At that time, it had a strength of 27 officers, 96 other ranks and 43 civilians.
In May 1942, due to the rapid increase in production activity, a Signals Production Branch was created. The production, research and development functions of the Directorate of Signals Design were transferred to the new Branch.
In June 1943 the signals development and design functions were returned to the Master General of Ordnance (MGO) Branch in the Department of National Defence and became the Directorate of Electrical and Communications Design.
"Technical Group", Directorate of Signals
|Directorate of Signals Design
1942 - 1943
| Succeeded by|
Signals Production Branch
| Succeeded by|
Directorate of Electrical and Communications Design
- No related pages at this time
- Director of Signals Information Bulletin, July 1950.