Divisional Signal Company War Establishment
The role of a Divisional Signal Company in the First World War was to provide communications for the Divisional Headquarters as well as for the subordinate Brigade Headquarters. The war establishment went through many adjustments during the war as responsibility for artillery communications as well as wireless communications was added to the company.
The unit's principle elements were a Headquarters, No. 1 Section to service the Division Headquarters and No. 2, 3 and 4 Sections to service the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Brigades respectively in the Division. In April 1917, responsibility for artillery communications came under control of the Signal Service and two Signal Sub-sections were added, one for each Field Artillery Brigade. In June 1917, a headquarters element was added for the Artillery Sub-sections and a Wireless Section was created when a portion of the Corps Wireless Section's responsibilities were devolved to the Divisions.