Hersin Communal Cemetery Extension
|Hersin Communal Cemetery Extension|
|Location:||Pas de Calais|
|Owned by:||Commonwealth War Graves Commission|
|Number of gravesites:||223|
|Website:||Hersin Communal Cemetery Extension|
The Hersin Communal Cemetery Extension is a cemetery in the Pas de Calais region of France containing the graves of Canadians killed during the Great War.
The extension to Hersin Communal Cemetery was begun by French troops, who made over 100 burials, and was taken over by Commonwealth troops and field ambulances in March 1916. It was used until October 1918.
The extension contains 224 Commonwealth burials of the First World War; many of the graves are of engineers, mostly from tunneling companies. All but seven of the French graves have been removed.
Hersin is a village about 5 kilometres south of Bethune and about 2 kilometres west of the main road from Bethune to Arras. The Communal Cemetery and Extension lie to the north-east of the village.
"We Rest Here"
The following Signals related people are buried here.
|Headstone||Service Number||Rank and Name||Grave Location|
||541529||LCpl A. Cochrane||II. D. 1.|
||161197||Spr J. Coffey||II. F. 1.|
||466682||Spr H. Stamp||II. E. 1.|