Poperinghe New Military Cemetery
|Poperinghe New Military Cemetery|
|Owned by:||Commonwealth War Graves Commission|
|Number of gravesites:||674|
|Website:||Poperinghe New Military Cemetery|
The Poperinghe New Military Cemetery is located west of Ieper (Ypres) Belgium. It contains burials from the Great War and includes 55 Canadians.
The town of Poperinghe (now Poperinge) was of great importance during the First World War because, although occasionally bombed or bombarded at long range, it was the nearest place to Ypres (now Ieper) which was both considerable in size and reasonably safe. It was at first a centre for Casualty Clearing Stations, but by 1916 it became necessary to move these units further back and field ambulances took their places.
The earliest Commonwealth graves in the town are in the communal cemetery. The Old Military Cemetery was made in the course of the First Battle of Ypres and was closed, so far as Commonwealth burials are concerned, at the beginning of May 1915. The New Military Cemetery was established in June 1915.
Poperinghe New Military Cemetery is located 10.5 Kms west of Ieper (Ypres) town centre, in the town of Poperinge itself. From Ieper, Poperinge is reached via the N308.
From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308), is reached via Elverdingsestraat then directly over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of the J. Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing. On reaching the town of Poperinge, the left hand turning from the N308 leads onto the R33 Poperinge ring road. 1 Km along the N33 lies the right hand turning onto Deken De Bolan. The cemetery is located 100 metres from the ring road level with Onze Vrouwedreef on the right hand side of the road.
"We Rest Here"
The following Signals related person is buried here.
|Headstone||Service Number||Rank and Name||Grave Location|
|107416||Sapper J Miller||II. A. 2.|