Reardon, Francis Martin

Jump to: navigation, search
Francis Martin Reardon
8 June 1920 – 23 January 2007
Capt FM Reardon, 5 May 1945.jpg
Capt Reardon, 5 May 1945
Nickname Frank
Place of birth Halifax, Nova Scotia
Place of death Ottawa, Ontario
Allegiance Canada
Service/branch Canadian Army
Rank Brigadier General
Awards ED, CD



Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia on June 8, 1920 and passed away Tuesday, January 23, 2007. He was predeceased by his wife Margaret, sister Mary Nicol and brother Gerald Reardon. He is survived by daughters Eileen and Margaret (Ottawa), Geraldine (London, England), Mary (Halifax) and Sally (Toronto); son John (Toronto); two grandchildren Eleanor and Kiva; brothers Robert, George and Donald (Halifax).

He attended St. Mary's College in Halifax and also was a member of the Militia in The Halifax Rifles, which resulted in his being called up for Active Service in August 1939. He went overseas in 1940 to the West Nova Scotia Regiment. He subsequently was transferred to the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals and served with 1st Canadian Divisional Signals and 1st Canadian Corps Signals in England, Sicily, Italy, where he met his wife Margaret who was serving with the U.S. Army Nurse Corps, and Northwest Europe.

Following the war, he returned to civilian life in Halifax and was transferred by his employer to Moncton, N.B. in 1954 where he stayed until 1964 when he was transferred to Ottawa. During his time in Moncton he served one year as President of the Moncton Construction Assn. and was serving the Board of Trade as Vice President at the time of departure. In Ottawa in 1967, he made a decision to change his occupation and entered the Real Estate business where he was employed in sales and management. He served as President of the Ottawa Real Estate Board in 1981 and the Ontario Real Estate Association in 1987 and retired in 1989.

Following the war, having decided to return to civilian life, he was asked to return to Militia service and was appointed to the East Coast Signal Regiment in Halifax with the rank of Major. He subsequently became Commanding Officer with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel which rank he held on moving to Moncton where he was appointed to the staff of HQ 5 Militia Group. In 1959 he was appointed Group Commander with the rank of Colonel and was promoted to Brigadier General in 1961. He transferred to Supplementary Reserve in 1963. In connection with his military service he also served as President of the Canadian Signals Association in 1959, the Canadian Forces Communications and Electronic Association in 1975, and as Honorary Colonel of 763 (Ottawa) Communication Regiment from 1974-1979.

Friends may visit at the Central Chapel of Hulse, Playfair & McGarry, 315 McLeod Street, Ottawa on Saturday, January 27 from 7-9pm and Sunday, January 28 from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9pm. The Funeral Mass will be held at St. Patrick's Basilica, 220 Kent Street (at Nepean), Ottawa on Monday, January 29 at 10:00am. As an expression of sympathy, memorial contributions to the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, 2411 -40 Ruskin Street, Ottawa, ON K1Y 4W7 would be appreciated by the family. Condolences/donations/tributes at

Related Pages

Related Items


  1. Obituary - Globe and Mail (accessed 24 February 2021)