Directorate of Electrical and Communications Development
|Directorate of Electrical and Communications Development|
In June 1943 the Directorate of Signals Design of the Department of Munitions and Supply was returned to the Master General of Ordnance (MGO) Branch in the Department of National Defence and became the Directorate of Electrical and Communications Design. At that time, it had a strength of 30 officers, 47 other ranks and 44 civilians. Brigadier H.E. Taber was appointed Director and the Canadian Signals Experimental Establishment was placed under control of the Directorate.
In October 1946 during the post-war reorganization, the designation was amended slightly to be the Directorate of Electrical and Communications Development. The directorate was responsible for communication and other electronic equipment (excluding armament control and fire control) for the Canadian Army. The chief functions were design and development, specifications, trials, liaison, technical advice and standardization. The 1950 establishment, greatly reduced from wartime figures, was 12 officers, 22 other ranks and 2 civilians but this included the Chairman of Electronic Standards Sub-Committee (ESSC) and 12 other ranks of the Inter-Service Electronic Identification Group (ISEIG) who were under control for administrative purposes only.
When the Canadian Signals Experimental Establishment was redesignated the Signals Research and Development Establishment in 1944, it remained under control of the directorate.
Directorate of Signals Design
|Directorate of Electrical and Communications Development
| Succeeded by|
- No related pages at this time
- Director of Signals Information Bulletin, July 1950.