Signals Inspection and Test Department
|Signals Inspection and Test Department|
|Active||1922 – 1941|
The Signals Inspection and Test Department was authorized as part of the establishment for the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals (Permanent Force) in 1922 with a strength of five. Formed in 1923, for the inspection and overhaul of wireless equipment coming back from overseas, the unit grew until it was able to undertake the development, design and manufacture of wireless equipment. In 1923 the establishment was raised to six, in 1925 it was 11 and in 1928 it was raised to 17.
Located in Ottawa, it was initially housed on Wellington Street "in a little rat infested cubby hole a few blocks from the Parliament Buildings." From there, it moved to almost equally objectionable and inadequate quarters on Elgin Street.
The unit undertook the technical and engineering tasks of the Corps under control of a "technical group" within the Directorate of Signals. When the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals began supporting the RCAF, wartime 120 watt sets were used but found to be inadequate. The Signals Inspection and Test Department built 500-watt sets for the control stations at Winnipeg, Cormorant Lake and Norway House. Ingenious individuals at Signals Inspection and Test Department also assisted Postal authorities by experimenting and installing "Airways Radio Beacons" at six stations across the prairies: Winnipeg, Forest, Regina, Maple Creek, Red Deer and Lethbridge.
By 1939 the Signals Inspection and Test Department (S.I.T.D.) as a component of the Directorate of Signals, with limited machine shop facilities, was charged with the engineering, operation and maintenance of the N.W.T. and Y. Radio System, the Army Signal System, the N.P.A.M. Signal System and fortress communications on the east and west coasts. The strength had grown by August 1939 to a six officers and 20 other ranks.
In 1941 the Signals Inspection and Test Department was expanded to be the Canadian Signals Experimental Establishment.
|New unit||Signals Inspection and Test Department
1922 - 1941
| Succeeded by|
Canadian Signals Experimental Establishment
- General Order 190/1922. 1 November, 1922.
- General Order 85/1923. 1 May, 1923.
- General Order 60/1925. 1 June, 1925.
- General Order 104/1928. 1 July, 1928.
- History of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals. Page 52.
- History of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals. Page 54.
- History of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals. Page 55.
- History of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals. Page 235.
- Authorized as Serial No. 2965 by General Order 264/43 effective 1 December 1941.