A Memorial Cairn was erected on August 5, 1995 and dedicated to all those who served in any capacity with the North West Territories and Yukon Radio System from 1923 to 1959. Special mention on the cairn was made toward those who died while in service with NWT&YRS RCSigs.
It's original location (53°35′38.782″N 113°32′27.416″W / 53.59410611, -113.54094889) was the site of the original VED radio station 13335 - 127 Street, Edmonton, Alberta. The owners of the property, NavCan, decided to put the property up for sale and it became necessary to do something about the Memorial. After some discussion it was decided that the best place to put it was in front of the 1 CMBG HQ and Signal Squadron, Steele Barracks, Garrison Edmonton, 400 Italy Cres . On October 8th., 2013 there was a small ceremony to rededicate the Memorial and so it now sits on a site leading into the 1 Signal Squadron entrance.
(click on image to expand)
| Plaque #1
|| Plaque #2
|| Plaque #3
NWT and Y Memorial with flags
NWT and Y Monument at 1 HQ and Sigs