Canadian Corps Signal Company
|Canadian Corps Signal Company|
|Active||September 1915 – 1 November 1920|
The Canadian Corps Signal Company was originally organized at the Canadian Engineers Training Depot, Shorncliffe in September 1915 as Canadian Corps Headquarters Signal Company Royal Engineers. It consisted of headquarters, No. 29 Airline Section and No. 31 Airline Section, R. Cable Section, and AD Cable Section, all from the Royal Engineers. The Company arrived in France on 15 September 1915. After May 1916, Canadian Cable and airline sections joined the company and, on 23 January 1917, the unit became the Canadian Corps Signal Company, Canadian Engineers.
In 1918, the Canadian Corps Signal Company consisted of the following sections:
- Wireless/Teletype Section;
- Motor Airline Sections 1 & 2;
- Tramway Company Signal Sections 1 & 2;
- Cable Sections CE, CF, CG and CH;
- HQ Corps Heavy Artillery Signals Sub-sections, 1, 2 and 3 Brigades;
- Corps Survey Signal Section;
- Despatch Rider Section;
- Repair Shop, MC and Transport; and
- Repair Shop, Instruments.
No. 1 Canadian Motor Airline Section
Originally organized at Shorncliffe in January 1916 as the Canadian Overseas Motor Airline Section, it was later redesignated in sequence with the numbering of similar British units as No. 57 Motor Airline Section. Commanded by Lieutenant H. W. Dowson, the section had an establishment of 1 officer and 40 other ranks with the initial cadre of personnel coming from Signal Reserves, Canadian Engineers Training Depot, Shorncliffe. The section arrived in France on 26 May 1916 and were allotted to the Canadian Corps Signal Company for the construction and repair of telegraph lines. The section was redesignated No. 1 Canadian Motor Airline Section on 18 June 1918 and was disbanded by General Order 192 dated 1 November 1920.
CA, CB and CD Cable Sections were organized at the Canadian Engineers Training Depot in February 1916 as part of the programme to convert Canadian Corps Signal Company from Royal Engineer. CD Section arrived in France 25 April 1916 while CA and CB Sections arrived in France 26 May 1916. The strength of each section being 1 officer and 35 other ranks.
CE Section was organized at Shorncliffe 20 August 1916, arrived in France 10 October 1916 and was attached to the Canadian Corps Signal Company on 16 October 1916.
CF Section was organized at Crowborough in November 1916, arrived in France in January 1917 and was attached to the Canadian Corps Signal Company on 10 January 1917.
CA, CB and CD Sections disbanded and re-formed as CG and CH Cable Sections.
All Cable Sections were disbanded by General Order 192 dated 1 November 1920.
The Wireless Section establishment at the end of the war is believed to be: 1 Captain, 1 Lieutenant, 1 Staff-Sergeant, 4 Sergeants, 7 Corporals, 4 Lance-Corporals and 48 Sappers.
- Maj R.H. Willen, KRRC, 9 September 1915 to 08 August 1916
- Capt A.A. Jayne, RE, 9 August 1916 to ???
- Capt J.W. Orange-Bromehead, KOYLI, ??? to 22 January 1917
- Capt P.E. Earnshaw, CE, 23 January 1917 to 4 April 1917
- Maj F.G. Malloch, CE, 5 July 1917 to 7 July 1918
- Maj G.A. Cline, CE, 8 July 1918 to 15 November 1920
- No related pages at this time
- Library and Archives Canada, Guide to Sources Relating to Units of the Canadian Expeditionary Force Signal Service, Canadian Engineers
- Semaphore to Satellite, Appendix 12